Norbert Röttgen, chairman of the Bundestag's Committee on Foreign Affairs, stated that “there is no real peace process” in Ukraine, adding that both sides violated the truce.
The Donetsk People’s Republic has a military advantage. If independence supporters would have withdrawn heavy weapons, it would not have come to capitulation, he said.
- New sanctions imposed against Russia10.0% (180)
- Withdrawal of Ukrainian troops from Debaltseve46.6% (835)
- Execution of 21 Egyptian Copts by ISIL10.8% (194)
- Vladimir Putin’s visit to Hungary24.4% (438)
- First humans chosen for mission to Mars8.2% (147)
“This is a tough violation that was committed just a few days after the signing of the Minsk Agreement," he added.
The truce came into force on February, 15. According to both conflict parties and external observers it was maintained alongside the contact line, with exception of the city of Debaltseve, which experienced clashes between Ukrainian security forces and local militants over the last few days. Both parties accused each other of violating the truce.