WASHINGTON, July 24 (RIA Novosti) – The White House is satisfied with the Council of Europe decision to approve the expansion of the so-called Russia “black list” over the Ukrainian crisis, deputy press secretary Eric Schultz told journalists Thursday.
“We welcome reports the EU is likely adding additional names to sanction list today,” Schultz said.
According to the official, the United States “expects some names to overlap” with those individuals who were earlier put on the US sanctions lists.
Earlier on Thursday, the EU Council's Committee of Permanent Representatives agreed to add further Ukrainian and Russian persons and entities to the list of those subject to an asset freeze and a visa ban over their role in the Ukrainian crisis.
Ambassadors from the 28 member states also agreed to expand the so-called 'designation criteria,' which "will pave the way for imposing asset freezes and visa bans on persons and entities that actively support or are benefiting from Russian decision makers responsible for the annexation of Crimea or the destabilization of Eastern Ukraine," the committee said in statement.
On July 16, the US Treasury introduced the so-called Sectoral Sanctions Identification List that affects Russian companies and institutions in defense, energy and banking sectors.
Earlier this year, the United States and the European Union had already imposed targeted sanctions against a number of Russian officials and companies as a response to Crimea’s reunification with Russia in March.
The Russian Foreign Ministry has repeatedly called the language of sanctions counterproductive and said these measures would have a boomerang effect, especially on European economy.