22:38 GMT17 January 2021
Listen Live
    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    0 12
    Subscribe

    BAKU (Sputnik) - Armed hostilities between Azerbaijani and Armenian forces in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh have been ongoing for over a month now, leaving dozens of people killed and hundreds injured.

    The Azerbaijani Defence Ministry on Tuesday said that Armenian troops had attacked the Baku armed forces' positions as well as civilian settlements in several directions "using various small arms, howitzers and mortars" in the breakaway republic of Nagorno-Karabakh.

    The ministry specified that the fighting was concentrated in the Agdara, Khojavend and Zangilan areas.

    "During the day and nighttime, a large number of enemy troops, four M-21 'Grad' MLRS, one KUB air defence missile system, nine different types of howitzers and two trucks loaded with ammunition were destroyed," the ministry added.

    Fighting between Armenian and Azerbaijani forces over the mountainous region erupted in late September, with the two countries trading blame for the growing death toll. Russia, the United States and France have been calling for peace.

    Since 1988, Armenia and Azerbaijan have been disputing the status of Nagorno-Karabakh, a de facto autonomous region with an Armenian majority that started claiming its independence from Azerbaijan shortly before the break up of the Soviet Union.

    Follow Sputnik's Live Feed to Find Out More!

    New messages
    • 17:47

      Two Injured as Stepanakert Hit by Azerbaijan's Multiple Rocket Launcher, Karabakh Emergency Service Says

    • 17:21

      Stepanakert Shelled by Azerbaijan's Army, Armenian Journalist Reports

    • 16:55

      Azerbaijan's Defence Ministry Publishes Video Allegedly Showing Destruction of Armenian Tanks

    • 14:26

      Lavrov: Russia Urges Countries Not to Send Mercenaries From Middle East to Karabakh

      A view shows a fragment of an artillery shell at the fighting positions of ethnic Armenian soldiers on the front line during a military conflict against Azerbaijan's armed forces in the breakaway region of Nagorno-Karabakh, October 20, 2020

      Lavrov: Russia Urges Countries Not to Send Mercenaries From Middle East to Karabakh

      Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov has been interviewed by the Russian newspaper Kommersant during which he discussed, among other things, the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh.
      Read more
    • 14:03

      Armenia Satisfied With Allied Relations With Russia, Parliament Speaker Says

    • 12:44

      Azerbaijani Forces Launch Artillery Fire in Direction of Armenian Units, Some Projectiles Fall on Iranian Territory, Armenian MoD Says

    • 11:29

      Azerbaijan Denies Shelling Shusha With Banned Weapons

      The Azerbaijani Defense Ministry said on Tuesday that Armenia has disseminated false information, reporting that Nagorno-Karabakh’s city of Shusha was attacked using prohibited weapons.

      Earlier in the day, the State Service of Emergency Situations of the unrecognized Republic of Nagorno-Karabakh reported that the cities of Shusha and Martuni had been attacked with the Smerch multiple rocket launchers.

      “The information on alleged shelling of the city of Shusha with prohibited projectiles, which have been disseminated in the Armenian mass media, is misinformation,” the ministry said.

      The long-lasting Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, which dates back to 1988, escalated afresh on September 27. Armenia and Azerbaijan have accused each other of starting the military action. Reports indicate that civilians in Nagorno-Karabakh are bearing the brunt of artillery shelling.

      Armenia has declared martial law and called for a general mobilization, while Azerbaijan has also announced partial mobilization and partial martial law. The parties have since agreed to three humanitarian ceasefires, but hostilities have continued nonetheless.

    • 09:17

      Armenian Defence Ministry Denies Reports of Yerevan Attack on Fuzuli City in Karabakh

    • 09:06

      Clashes Continue on Eastern Side of Karabakh Conflict, Armenian Defence Ministry Say

      "Clashes continue on the eastern side of Karabakh and enemy troops are suffering serious losses", the Armenian Defence Ministry's spokesman, Artsrun Hovhannisyan, wrote on Facebook.

    • 08:10

      91 Residents Dead, 405 Injured Since the Beginning of the Escalation in Nagorno-Karabakh, Baku Says

    • 07:26

      Armenian UAV Destroyed Over Front Line, Azerbaijani Defence Ministry Says

    Tags:
    Nagorno-Karabakh conflict, Nagorno-Karabakh, settlements, Armenia, Azerbaijan
    Community standardsDiscussion