22:35 GMT21 October 2020
Listen Live
    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    2 0 0
    Subscribe

    KABUL (Sputnik) - Fifteen people were killed and 56 others were injured in the bomb blast that took place at a police chief funeral in Afghanistan's eastern Nangarhar province, Attaullah Khogyani, the provincial governor's spokesman, said on Tuesday.

    "Fifteen people were martyred and 56 others were injured in a bomb blast on a funeral ceremony in Koz Kunar district ... The health condition of many of the injured has also shown to be critical," Khogyani said.

    Earlier in the day, Khogyani said that at least 40 people were killed and injured at the funeral of Haji Sheikh Ikram, who used to serve as the commander of the Koz Kunar district's police unit. He died last night due to a heart attack.

    Eyewitnesses said earlier in the day that seven people were killed at the funeral of Haji Sheikh Ikram, who used to serve as the commander of the Khewa district's police unit.

    Haji Hazrat Ali — a member of the lower house of the Afghan parliament, who attended the funeral — told Sputnik that Noor Agha, another lower house lawmaker, was injured in the incident. He also said that Lala Khan, a son of a member of the Nangarhar provincial council, was killed in the incident, along with two of his brothers.

    "Terrorists have carried out a suicide attack on a funeral in Nangarhar. Who has carried out suicide attacks in the last 18 years? ... There are tens of thousands of incidents that have been carried out by the Taliban, the basis or start of this kind of attacks [is] by the Taliban, and the Taliban is primarily responsible for each attack," Dawa Khan Minapal, the deputy spokesman for Afghan President Ashraf Ghani, said in a statement.

    Meanwhile, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said that the militant movement had nothing to do with the incident, adding that the Taliban condemned such acts.

    Tags:
    attack, bomb blast, Afghanistan
    Community standardsDiscussion