The body of two-year-old Sujith Wilson, who had fallen into a well near his home in Tiruchirapalli district of the Indian state of Tamil Nadu on Friday, was retrieved in a heavily decomposed and mutilated state on Tuesday morning, The Times of India reported.
"We observed a stench emanating from the bore well. It was confirmed that Sujith is no more. We found his body to be highly decomposed and dismembered," local media quoted Tamil Nadu government official J. Radhakrishnan as saying.
The drilling operation to dig a parallel shaft alongside the abandoned well on Friday in an attempt to save and rescue the child has been stopped, he added.
Netizens took to social media to express their anguish and shock over the tragedy. Some criticised the administration for not closing such wells or putting up warning signs.
It’s heartbreaking that an innocent toddler would die because of the stupidity of adults. It’s all common sense to have such wells covered up to prevent accidents but adults have had all their senses dulled by pursuit of money and pleasure. They care less about kids.— Michael Ekpo (@MichaelEkpo11) October 29, 2019
Oh, NO! I was hoping for a happier outcome. R.I.P., poor baby, and condolences to his grieving family. 🙏🙏🙏— Nancy Mahony (@nancy_mahony) October 29, 2019
LOVING MEMORY LITTLE CHILD SURJIT RIP pic.twitter.com/Q1lgK41kmm— Padmichetty Krishnamoorthy Venkataramen Venkat (@venkataramen) October 29, 2019
Tamil nad famous for miracles by pastors shud hav invited pastors from church to sav Wilson— Synagaraj (@Synagarajsoy) October 29, 2019
Sack the local ministry and set the example that no such incidents shall be repeated again. MPs/MLAs will have fear of losing their portfolios if we sack whole ministry at the moment. Toddler's parents should be compensated. Rip— Ayaan | अयान | ਅਯਾਨ | ایان 🇮🇳 (@ShaafiAyaan) October 29, 2019
Sad. I hope the police arrests the people who callously kept the borewell open leading to the kid falling in it and dying.— Moudgalya (@BMoudgalya) October 29, 2019
Efforts were initially made to rescue the boy by using "clamping," technology involving tailor-made equipment, but when that did not succeed, a heavy German manufactured drilling machine was deployed in an attempt to reach the infant stuck at a depth of 90 to 100 feet, but hampered by rocky soil and rain, the rescue efforts failed.
Hundreds of people from surrounding villages gathered in Fathima Puthur village on Tuesday morning for the last rites of the dead infant. The body was placed in a coffin and buried in the presence of three state government ministers and others.