13:02 GMT28 May 2020
Listen Live
    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    Deadly Attack on Mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand (61)
    1158
    Subscribe

    A court in New Zealand on Saturday, ruled that Australian national Brenton Harrison Tarrant, charged with murder in the wake of the Christchurch mosque attacks, should stay in custody without plea until April 5, local media reported.

    The 28-year-old resident of the city of Dunedin in southern New Zealand appeared in court earlier in the day.

    According to New Zealand Herald, Tarrant smirked as he stood in the dock.

    READ MORE: LIVE UPDATES: At Least 50 Killed in Shootings at 2 New Zealand Mosques

    Moreover, the outlet published a picture of him, wearing a prison robe and cuffs, and flanked by security guards. Tarrant was depicted showing the so-called OK gesture, which some associate with the white supremacy movement.

    The police said earlier on Saturday, that further charges would be laid against Tarrant over the mosque massacre.

    The violent shooting in two mosques in Christchurch, described by New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern as a terrorist attack, took place on Friday, claiming lives of 49 people and leaving dozens injured.

    New messages
    • 04:53

      NZ, Australian Hockey Players Join Arms in Tribute to Christchurch Shooting Victims

    • 03:30

      NZ PM Says Received Gunman's 'Manifesto' Nine Minutes Before Attack - Report

      Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, while talking to journalists during a press conference, revealed that she received Tarrant's 'Manifesto' less than ten minutes prior to the attack, the New Zealand Herald reports.

      "I was one of more than 30 recipients of the manifesto that was mailed out nine minutes before the attack took place," Ardern told reporters on Sunday.

      "It did not include a location, it did not include specific details," she added.  

    • 23:58

      Almost $5 Million Donated for Families of Christchurch Massacre Victims

      According to the New Zealand Herald outlet, more than $4.8 million has been raised so far for the victim's families. The bulk of the generous donations has reportedly come through the website "Givealittle".

    • 23:22

      Christchurch Police Lift Charges on Three Thought to Be Working With Mosque Shooter

      New Zealand Police stated on Sunday that three persons - detained earlier on charges in alleged connection to the Friday Mosque massacre in the city of Christchurch - were not implicated in the attack. According to the statement, cited by local media, one of the killer’s alleged accomplices was released Sunday, while the other two remain under investigation into non-related issues.

    • 20:43

      New Zealand Police Confirm Mosque Shooting Death Toll Rises to 50

      The New Zealand Police Commissioner, while speaking to journalists, confirmed that the death toll from mosque shooting has risen to 50. Two people remain critical and one child is at Starship Hospital. 

      The statement came after the police of New Zealand have discovered the body of one more victim.

      Earlier the Saudi Arabian Acting Foreign Minister Ibrahim al-Assaf reportedly said that an injured Saudi citizen had died in New Zealand's Hospital after the Friday's deadly attack on 2 Mosques in the city of Christchurch, thus increasing the death toll to 50 people.

    • 16:14

      Media Linked New Zealand Massacre to 8chan Imageboard

      Mourners pay their respects at a makeshift memorial near the Masjid Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, Saturday, March 16, 2019

      Blame Anons: Media Links Imageboard to New Zealand Mosque Massacre

      The killer’s message posted on 8chan initially elicited a mixed response from the imageboard’s users, with people either applauding his actions or worrying that sharing this kind of information may be a bad idea.
      Read more
    • 13:42

      Erdogan Confirms New Zealand Shooting Suspect Visited Turkey Twice

      The suspected perpetrator of the deadly attack on two mosques in New Zealand visited Turkey twice in the past, with an investigation now underway into his contacts in the country, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan confirmed on Saturday.

      Earlier, local media reported that the suspected shooter visited Turkey twice back in 2016.

      "The perpetrator of the terrorist attack in New Zealand visited Turkey twice. The first time he spent here three days, while the second time he was here for 40 days. An investigation is underway to establish his ties in Turkey. However, we want New Zealand to bring him to justice as well and remand him in custody. Forty-nine people were killed as a result of the terrorist attack. This is a mass murder, and the criminal must be punished," Erdogan said at a rally in the northwestern city of Tekirdag.

    • 11:35

      People Around the World Gather for Vigils to Mourn New Zealand Massacre Victims

    • 09:36

      Hospital in East of New Zealand Reopens After 3-Hour Lockdown Over Threat Call - Reports

      A hospital in the eastern New Zealand's city of Hastings reopened on Saturday after having been on lockdown for over three hours, local media reported, citing police.

      The Hawke's Bay Hospital was put on lockdown earlier in the day following a report of a threat.

      A police spokeswoman confirmed to stuff.co.nz news website that the lockdown ended shortly after 6:30 p.m. local time (05:30 GMT) following "extensive" investigation at the hospital and surrounding areas.

      "It has been determined there is no threat to hospital staff or the public," the spokeswoman said as quoted by stuff.co.nz.

      She has not provided any comment on whether the threat was somehow linked to Friday's massacre in two mosques in Christchurch, which left 49 people dead.

    • 08:41

      Christchurch Shooting Suspect Reportedly Made Stops in Pakistan, DPRK During Global Travels

      Brenton Tarrant, who is accused of life-streaming himself killing 49 people during an attack on two New Zealand mosques, plunged himself into white nationalist message boards after his global travels, Fox News reports.

      His itinerary included stops in Pakistan, North Korea, France, Poland, Iceland, Argentina and Ukraine.

    • 08:27

      Media, Tech Giants in Hot Waters After New Zealand Mosque Shooting

      Armed police patrol outside a mosque in central Christchurch, New Zealand, Friday, 15 March , 2019

      Sky News Australia, SM Giants Under Attack Over NZ Shooter’s Footage

      At least 50 people have been confirmed killed as a result of Friday’s mass shootings at two mosques and another location in Christchurch, the largest city in New Zealand's South Island; dozens more remain in hospital and are being treated for gunshot wounds.
      Read more
    • 08:24

      Mass Shooting at Two Mosques in New Zealand: How It Happened

      Attack on Mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand
      © Sputnik /
    • 08:24

      New Zealand's Prime Minister Pledges to Change Gun Laws After Christcurch Massacre

      New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that the country's firearms regulations would change following the violent attacks on two mosques in the city of Christchurch.

       

      Firearm

      New Zealand PM Vows to Change Gun Legislation After Christchurch Mosque Massacre

      MOSCOW (Sputnik) - New Zealand's Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said that the country's firearms regulations would change following the violent attacks on two mosques in the city of Christchurch.
      Read more
    • 08:21

      Accused Shooter Smirked as He Appeared in Court

      Brenton Harrison Tarrant has appeared in court this morning charged charged with murder in the wake of the Christchurch mosque massacre.

      According to New Zealand Herald, Tarrant smirked as he stood in the dock.

    • 08:19

      New Zealand Shooter Planned to Continue Attack When Police Caught Him

      The gunman who perpetrated fatal shootings at two mosques in New Zealand intended to continue his attack when he was apprehended by the law enforcement, the country's Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, said on Saturday.

       

      Police block the road near the shooting at a mosque in Linwood, Christchurch, New Zealand, Friday

      New Zealand Shooter Planned to Continue Attack When Police Caught Him - PM

      MOSCOW (Sputnik) - The gunman who perpetrated fatal shootings at two mosques in New Zealand intended to continue his attack when he was apprehended by the law enforcement, the country's Prime Minister, Jacinda Ardern, said on Saturday.
      Read more
    Topic:
    Deadly Attack on Mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand (61)

    Related:

    New Zealand PM Vows to Change Gun Legislation After Christchurch Mosque Massacre
    US Right Wing ‘Needs to Be Held Accountable For' New Zealand Attack
    US Not Aware of Any Threats Connected to New Zealand Mosques Massacre
    Nearly $1 Million Donated to New Zealand Shooting Victims – Report
    UN Security Council Condemns in 'Strongest Terms' Terror Attack in New Zealand
    Mass Shooting at Two Mosques in New Zealand: How It Happened
    Tags:
    islam, Muslims, crime, racial attacks, suspect, investigation, mosque, shooting attack, shooting, Brenton Tarrant, Christchurch, New Zealand
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook