According to local police, suicide bombers hit three churches in Indonesia's second-largest city, killing at least six persons and injuring over a dozen others.
Later in the day, Daesh has claimed responsibility for the attack. According to the local police services, all the bombers were members of a single family: a father exploded a car bomb, two sons aged 18 and 16 used a motorbike in their attack and the mother was with two children aged 12 and 9.
"The victims are being identified," Frans Barung Mangera, an East Java police spokesman, said, cited by Reuters.
Meanwhile, according to AFP, Police have only revealed details of one bombing assault on Santa Maria Catholic Church.
"We have confirmed one died at the scene, one died at the hospital, two police officers were injured and there are some civilians injured," Mangera said. "In total 13 people are being treated at the hospital," East Java police spokesman added.
According to East Java police spokesman, overall 35 people were injured.
I am appalled by the terrorist bombings in #Surabaya. My heart goes out to all the victims, their families, and all Indonesians.— Orel Fargas (@OrelFargas) 13 мая 2018 г.
This is a tragedy meant to incite fear and conflict, but these cowards will never win! pic.twitter.com/M3naUtPO1d
Meanwhile, according to Wawan Purwanto, communication director at Indonesia's Intelligence Agency, the recent wave of suicide bombings had been carried out by Daesh-inspired terror group Jemaah Ansharut Daulau, Reuters reported.
Breaking: Video showing one of the Surabaya attackers riding a motorcycle into the grounds of a church and detonating a bomb. pic.twitter.com/X0DBrHB4p9— Adam Harvey (@adharves) May 13, 2018
Wawan Purwanto also told local journalists that the assaults could be linked to a deadly hostage incident at a jail near Jakarta last week that has also involved alleged Islamist militants.