23:38 GMT30 March 2020
Listen Live
    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    440
    Subscribe

    The surprising discovery was made after a lady from northwest China, who was suffering breathing problems, went for a check-up at a hospital.

    The 41-year-old resident of Tongchuan in China's Shaanxi province has been experiencing severe headaches and breathing difficulties for six years, but the cause of her condition, which turned out to be rather unusual, came to light only at the beginning of January 2018.

    The check-up showed that throughout these years the woman had a 3-centimeter-long chili pepper stuck in one of her lungs. Luo Lifeng, a doctor at the hospital, said she could have choked on it while eating a meal, South China Morning Post reported.

    READ MORE: Red Hot Chili Peppers Could Hold Secret to Longer Lifetimes

    At first, the doctor tried to take the pepper out of her right lung by using a probe, but its lower part was already seriously infected, so a more intricate surgical procedure was inevitable. It is reported that the chili pepper was successfully removed.

    According to doctors, swallowed foreign bodies in the airways are more common in children under the age of five years, but rare in adults.

    Related:

    Chili Pepper Showed to Be an Effective Weapon Against Cancer
    Brandy and Vegemite: The World's 5 Most Unusual Combat Rations
    'I Thought I Was Going to Die!' YouTuber Eats World's Hottest Noodles
    Tags:
    health, chili peppers, China
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook