"The members of the Security Council strongly condemned the launching of a submarine-launched ballistic missile by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on 23 August, the ballistic missile launches conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on 2 August and 18 July, and the launching of a submarine-launched ballistic missile by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on 9 July. These launches are in grave violation of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's international obligations under United Nations Security Council resolutions," the UNSC said in a Friday statement.
The Council stressed that it condemns all of North Korea’s missile activities, not just the most recent launches, reiterating the importance of maintaining stability in the region through peaceful, diplomatic means.
"The members of the Security Council deplore all Democratic People's Republic of Korea ballistic missile activities, including these launches, noting that such activities contribute to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's development of nuclear weapons delivery systems and increase tension," the UNSC said.
On Wednesday, media reports emerged that Pyongyang had launched a ballistic missile from a submarine in the Sea of Japan. The missile reportedly flew about 500 kilometers (300 miles) towards Japan, allegedly falling in Japan's Air Defense Identification Zone (ADIZ).
According the South Korean military, this is the longest flight by the missile of the kind for North Korea.
Since the start of this year, North Korea has been at the center of international attention in view of its active missile testing. Pyongyang’s January nuclear test and a long-range rocket launch in February resulted in the tightening of sanctions against North Korea in a new UN Security Council resolution adopted in March.
The United Nations previously imposed sanctions on North Korea for three tests it carried out in 2006, 2009 and 2013.