03:29 GMT +319 July 2018
Listen Live
    Indian commandos overlook the air force base in Pathankot on January 5, 2016

    India, Pakistan Make Progress on Pathankot Terror Attack Probe

    © AFP 2018 / NARINDER NANU
    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    0 38

    Agreements have been reached on an investigation into the Pathankot airbase attack between Indian and Pakistani investigators, top sources said after Thursday’s meeting in New Delhi.

    "The meeting between Indian and Pakistani investigators is positive. They (the Pakistani side) have not contradicted our findings," Kiren Rijiju, Union Minister of State for Home Affairs of India said on Friday.

    A five-man Pakistani Joint Investigative Team (JIT) arrived in India to talk to Indian witnesses, collect evidence and share its investigation with the National Investigative Agency. "Evidence like post mortem reports, DNA samples of the terrorists, details of weapons and ammunition with Pakistani markings have been shared with the Pakistani investigators," a senior officer told NDTV.

    Indian investigations reveal that Maulana Masood Azhar, the chief of Pakistan-based terror organization Jaish-e-Mohammed (JEM), and his followers were responsible for the airbase attack.

    Earlier, India sought access to Maulana Masood Azhar, his brother Mohammed Rauf and other key JeM members of the group. "We have asked the Pakistani team for their voice samples," a senior officer said.

    India is also expected to ask Pakistan to allow Indian investigators to visit the country soon. However, no date has been fixed for the visit yet, Mr. Rijiju said.

    Pakistani investigators are expected to leave India Saturday.

    This historic visit has opened the gates for a strategic installation amidst intense criticism from opposition parties. The chief of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party, Amit Shah, said: "For the first time Pakistan has made serious effort towards investigation."

    On 2 January 2016, a heavily armed group attacked the Pathankot airbase in India. Four terrorists and two security forces personnel were killed in the 80-hour gun battle, with an additional security force member dying from injuries hours later.

    investigation, Pathankot, Pakistan, India
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik
    • Сomment