13:22 GMT28 May 2020
Listen Live
    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    0 24
    Subscribe

    The majority of those killed in a suicide bombing in the Turkish city of Istanbul were foreigners, Turkey’s Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoglu said Saturday.

    ANKARA (Sputnik) — A suicide blast ripped through a major tourist shopping street in Istanbul, killing five people including the attacker, and injuring at least 36 people.

    "The majority of those killed in the terror attack were foreigners. The investigation continues and the case will be solved very soon," Davutoglu said in a statement published on his website.

    The minister added that the recent spike in terror attacks in Turkey underscored Ankara’s harsh stance on territories. He vowed that Turkish authorities would continue their fight against terror.

    Earlier reports indicated that the blast wounded six Israelis, two Irishmen, one German, one Icelander, one Iranian and one citizen of the United Arab Emirates.

    The attack came less than a week after a suicide bombing in Ankara killed 37 people. Last month’s bombing of a military convoy in the Turkish capital killed 28 people.

    The attacks were claimed by Kurdish militias who said they were in response to Ankara’s security operations in the Kurdish-dominated southeast.

    Related:

    Israel, Germany, Iceland, Iran, UAE Citizens Victims of Istanbul Attack
    Germany Urges Tourists in Istanbul to Stay in Hotels After Terrorist Attack
    One Suspect Detained As Part of Investigation Into Deadly Istanbul Bombing
    Tags:
    casualties, explosion, Ahmet Davutoglu, Turkey, Istanbul
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via SputnikComment via Facebook