"We have studied the applicable information. We express our serious concern over it," Lu said.
According to the spokesman, Beijing hopes that Pyongyang will not take steps, which may lead to the aggravation of the situation on the Korean Peninsula. Lu noted that all the countries in the region bear responsibility for peace and stability on the peninsula.
On Tuesday, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) confirmed it had received North Korea’s notification of plans to launch a satellite between February 8 and 25. South Korea said that the North was planning to launch a long-range missile.
South Korean leadership earlier said it was mulling to take "necessary measures" amid Pyongyang's plans to launch the satellite, while the Japanese Defense Ministry promised to destroy the North Korean missile if it posed a threat to the country's security.
North Korea previously reported on a successful launch of a satellite in 2012, in violation of a UN Security Council resolution. The resolution bans Pyongyang from launching rockets that may be used as ballistic long-range missiles with nuclear warheads.
The situation over North Korea's nuclear activity deteriorated following an alleged test of a hydrogen bomb claimed by Pyongyang on January 6.