15:15 GMT25 January 2020
Listen Live
    Asia & Pacific

    New Zealand Fraud Suspect Dies in Hotel Gas Fumes

    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    0 12
    Subscribe

    A New Zealand national who died from gas poisoning in a central Auckland hotel was due to appear in court for fraud, local media reported Tuesday.

    MOSCOW (Sputnik) – Mark Lawrence Ivil, 58, a native of the northern port of Tauranga, was found on the third floor of the hotel in Auckland, according to the Bay of Plenty Times publication.

    Ivil was due to appear in court on accusations of defrauding people of 4.2 million New Zealand dollars ($2.7 million).

    The daily cites assistant area fire commander David Woon as saying the toxic gas was confined to the hotel bathroom and did not originate from a leak in the building.

    Woon speculated the combined chemicals might have included an acid and a sulphur, but ruled out further risks to the public.

    Related:

    Strong Earthquake Shakes New Zealand – US Geological Survey
    When Cthulhu Comes Calling: Monster Squid Washes Up on New Zealand Beach
    New Zealand to Contribute Over $87Mln to AIIB
    Commercial Flights Resume in New Zealand After Radar Glitch
    Tags:
    fraud, Mark Lawrence Ivil, Auckland, Tauranga, New Zealand
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik