16:54 GMT +320 July 2019
Listen Live
    Korea Wolsong Nuclear Power Plant

    Two Nuclear Reactors in South Korea Closed Following Deadly Gas Leak

    © Flickr / IAEA Imagebank/Korea Wolsong NPP
    Asia & Pacific
    Get short URL
    0 33

    Two nuclear reactors under construction in South Korea were shut down following the death of three workers.

    MOSCOW, December 27 (Sputnik) – South Korea's Ministry of Employment and Labor decided to shut down two nuclear reactors under construction after a toxic gas leak led to the death of three workers, Yonhap reports.

    The ministry stated it would launch a probe into the incident, which took place in the city of Ulsan, located approximately 400 kilometers (248 miles) southeast of Seoul.

    "We will promptly conduct an investigation and hold accountable those who are responsible (in the incident) if any irregularities are discovered," Yoo Han-bong, who leads the labor ministry's Ulsan branch, said, as quoted by Yonhap.

    On December 25, three workers lost consciousness and later died after apparently inhaling toxic gas said to be nitrogen, Yonhap reported, citing Bae Kyong-min, an official at the Korea Hydro and Nuclear Power Co. (KHNP), a subsidiary of the Korea Electric Power Corp (KEPCO). The workers were only identified by their last names as Hong, Son and Kim, the Korean Times reports. Hong worked for the Hyundai Engineering & Construction subcontracting firm, while a KHNP subcontractor employed Son and Kim.

    The incident took place days after hackers launched cyber-attacks on KEPCO, the state-controlled company operating nuclear power plants in the country. Hackers have claimed they can disable the control systems of South Korean power plants.

    Korea Wolsong Nuclear Power Plant
    © Flickr / IAEA Imagebank/Korea Wolsong NPP
    Last week, hackers leaked documents, including blueprints of nuclear power plants and personal data of KEPCO employees. The information was published on a South Korean blog, which has since been shut down, a source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told Sputnik.

    Friday’s incident was not related to cyber terrorism, said Choi Hee-ye, a spokeswoman for KHNPC, according to the Associated Press.

    The New Gori No. 3 reactor was undergoing a trial run. It is scheduled to be put into service in 2015. The New Gori No. 4 reactor, expected to come into operation in 2016, is still under construction, according to Yonhap.

    Related:

    South Korea Nuclear Reactor Hack Traced to China: Reports
    Suspected Hacker Leaks New Data on South Korea Nuclear Reactors
    South Korean Nuclear Plants Undertake Cyberattack Drill
    South Korea Probes Another Nuclear Plant Hack, Asks US for Help: Reports
    Tags:
    South Korea, nuclear reactors, incident, Korea Electric Power Corporation (KEPCO)
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik