"We have never supported the idea of a total embargo of the DPRK, like any other country. We believe that the real problem of violation of a series of UN Security Council resolutions by Pyongyang and Pyongyang's provocative actions occurred in the past should be resolved in a completely different way," Ryabkov said.
"Pushing, pressure, sanctions, especially the blockade, embargo" are not the way Russia acts in the global arena, Ryabkov added.
"We cannot support such calls, we think that there is an alternative. We think that joint Russian-Chinese proposals, if they are perceived in a proper manner, in this case I am referring to my colleagues in Washington, will give momentum to the political process," the diplomat underlined.
Earlier in the day, Donald Trump called on the world — calling out by name Russia and China — to stop supporting the North Korean regime. The US President also urged Russia and China to downgrade diplomatic relations and cut economic ties with North Korea.
"It is our responsibility and our duty to confront this danger together — because the longer we wait, the greater the danger grows, and the fewer the options become. And to those nations that choose to ignore this threat or, worse still, to enable it, the weight of this crisis is on your conscience," he added.
In September, the United States has imposed a new set of sanctions on North Korea targeting individuals and institutions that provide financial support and facilitate trade with Pyongyang.
Donald Trump said the executive order gives the US Treasury Department discretion to impose punitive measures against any foreign bank that knowingly conducts transactions with North Korea.
In addition, the US president announced that the central bank of China has directed other financial institutions in the country to immediately stop any business dealings with North Korea.
Trump emphasized that any tolerance for Kim Jon-un's destabilizing activities should now end and called on the international community to aim for complete denuclearization of North Korea.
“The United States has nothing left in its foreign policy arsenal apart from sanctions. The answer on any occasion and in any case is the same – sanctions and new sanctions. This is very concerning and problematic,” Sergei Ryabkov said commenting on US President Donald Trump urging Russia and China to downgrade diplomatic relations and cut economic ties with North Korea.
Russia will continue to advocate the political and diplomatic resolution of the situation on the Korean peninsula, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov told Sputnik on Wednesday.
"Despite any signals discordant with our policy, we shall continue to advocate it. We believe that there are no alternatives to it," he said.
Korean Peninsula Situation to Be on Agenda of Putin-Trump Talks
"I assume that the issue of the Korean peninsula denuclearization and the situation in this region as a whole will be one of the main [topics] when the leaders of our countries meet. But we still do not have the clarity of when exactly this will happen," he said.
Earlier in the day, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov has said that Russian President Vladimir Putin is ready to meet with US President Donald Trump on the sidelines of the APEC summit in the Vietnamesse city of Da Nang.
US Draft Resolution on OPCW-UN Syria Mechanism Differs Little From Previous One
Speaking about the US-proposed UN Security Council draft resolution on extension of the mandate of the United Nations-Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons Joint Investigative Mechanism (JIM), Sergei Ryabkov said that Russia is examining it but it does not differ much from the previous one, Russian Deputy Foreign Minister Sergey Ryabkov told Sputnik.
“This is not a new resolution, it is an old resolution, the previous one which does not contain the elements that we need. All that the US side did with its initial text was retouching it, putting makeup on it … but its content does not change in any way,” he said.
According to Ryabkov, Russia is examining the draft resolution.
“What we saw in the amended US draft cannot satisfy us in any way,” the deputy minister added.