21:32 GMT +318 April 2019
Listen Live
    A Libyan army soldier stands guard sitting on an antiaircraft truck during the handover of the Nawaseen military compound, which was the headquarters of Libyan militias, in Souk al-Juma district, Tripoli, Libya

    LIVE UPDATES: At Least 20 Killed Amid Libyan Conflict Escalation

    © AP Photo / Manu Brabo
    Africa
    Get short URL
    466

    Tensions in war-torn Libya have escalated since 4 April, after the Libyan National Army, led by Khalifa Haftar, started an offensive aimed at seizing Tripoli from the UN-recognised government. While making its way to Tripoli, the LNA captured several settlements; at the same time, the GNA's prime minister ordered troops to use force if necessary.

    On Sunday, the Libyan National Army (LNA) commenced an aerial bombardment of the Libyan capital Tripoli, a top Libyan military source told Sputnik.

    Control over Libya remains divided following years of conflict after a NATO-supported rebellion resulted in the murder of its former head of state, Muammar Gaddafi. Since then, there has been no single central government in Libya despite negotiations that both sides have recently held. 

    FOLLOW OUR FEED TO FIND OUT MORE

    New messages
    • 04:37

      Pompeo Urges Forces of Libya's Haftar to Stop Offensive on Tripoli

      Libyan National Army (LNA) members, commanded by Khalifa Haftar, head out of Benghazi to reinforce the troops advancing to Tripoli, in Benghazi, Libya April 7, 2019

      Pompeo: US Urges Forces of Libya's Haftar to Stop Offensive on Tripoli

      MOSCOW (Sputnik) - US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said in a press statement on Monday that the United States requires the Libyan National Army loyal to Gen. Khalifa Haftar to stop its offensive on Tripoli.
      Read more
    • 21:22

      Offensive in Tripoli Will Not Affect Peace Conference - Haftar's Representative

      "This campaign supports the organisation of the national conference," official LNA representative Akhmed al-Mismari said during a press conference in Benghazi.

    • 20:58

      UN-Backed Libyan Prime Minister Sarraj Discusses Probe Into Haftar With Chief Military Prosecutor Amid Tripoli Offensive

      Fayez Sarraj, the UN-backed head of Libya's Government of National Accord, on Sunday met with the chief military prosecutor to discuss a probe into those involved in the offensive on capital Tripoli.

      "The meeting... dealt with a probe into all those involved in the attack on several Libyan cities... They also discussed the monitoring and documentation of crimes... and human rights violations," the statement read.

    • 20:39

      Libyan Conflicting Sides Fail to Observe Humanitarian Truce in Tripoli Requested by UN - Ambulance Service

      Libyan conflicting sides have refused to follow the UN request to organize a two-hour ceasefire for evacuation of those injured during the armed clashes in Tripoli, a spokesman for the local ambulance service Osama Ali told Sputnik.

      "The conflicting sides did not adhere to the humanitarian pause requested by the United Nations," Ali said.

    • 18:16

      Some Districts of Tripoli Left Without Electricity Due to Armed Clashes - Reports

      MOSCOW (Sputnik) - Some districts in southern Tripoli were left without electricity as a result of armed clashes between the Libyan National Army (LNA), led by Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar and forces loyal to UN-backed Government of National Accord (GNA), led by Fayez Sarraj, Al Arabiya broadcaster reported, citing its sources.

    • 17:51

      'We Came. We Saw. He Died' - Greenwald Shares Hillary Clinton's Interview on Gaddafi's Death

    • 17:35

      Over 20 Died, Some 30 Sustained Injuries During Clashes in Tripoli - Health Ministry

      At least 21 died and 27 were injured in Tripoli amid clashes involving Libya's National Army (LNA) and troops loyal to the Libyan Government of National Accord (GNA), the GNA's Health Ministry said in a statement on Sunday.

       "According to the central operations command of the health ministry of the Government of National Accord ... 21 people were killed and 27 wounded," the statement on the ministry's Facebook page read.

      The health authority did not specify whether the casualties were among the military or civilians. The announcement comes hours after the UN mission in Libya demanded a 2-hour pause in fighting to evacuate the wounded from the capital's southern suburbs.

       

    • 17:33

      Libyan Government of National Accord Demands Arrest of LNA Commander Haftar - Reports

      The Libyan Government of National Accord has demanded the arrest of Libya's National Army commander Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar, al-Arabiya reported on Sunday. 

    • 16:36

      Libyan Government of National Accord Launches Volcano of Rage Counteroffensive

      CAIRO (Sputnik) - A spokesman for the army loyal to Libya's Government of National Accord based in Tripoli announced on Sunday a counteroffensive against the advancing troops of Field Marshal Khalifa Haftar.

      The multi-pronged operation, dubbed Burkan Al-Ghadab (Volcano of Rage), has already led to the capture of many military vehicles of Haftar's National Libyan Army, military spokesman Mohammed Gununu said.

      He described the general's army as outlaws, adding that the armed forces of the UN-backed government of Prime Minister Fayez Sarraj would stand up to anyone trying to militarise Libya.

      The North African country has been gripped by unrest since its longtime leader, Muammar Gaddafi, was overthrown and killed in 2011. It has been split up between the two administrations in the east and west. Haftar, who is backed by the Tobruk-based parliament in the east, ordered his troops on Thursday to wrestle the capital from what he called terrorist forces.

       

    • 16:36

      UN Support Mission in Libya Has Requested From LNA, GNA Two-Hour Ceasefire to Evacuate Injured from Tripoli

    • 16:33

      WATCH US Redeploy Military Personnel From Libya as Tensions Rise

      US Army Africa (File photo).

      WATCH US Redeploy Military Personnel From Libya as Tensions Rise

      US Africa Command (AFRICOM) commander Thomas D. Waldhauser said that the decision to redeploy US forces was made "due to increased unrest". According to him, the situation in Libya has deteriorated and American troops are no longer safe there.
      Read more
    • 16:33

      Haftar's Forces Start Air Operation Over Tripoli - Libyan Military Source

      Tripoli Panorama

      Haftar's Forces Start Air Operation Over Tripoli - Libyan Military Source

      The situation in Libya has been tense since 4 April, when the Libyan National Army, led by Khalifa Haftar, started an offensive to rid Tripoli of militants. On their way to Tripoli, the LNA captured a number of settlements, while the GNA's prime minister ordered the troops to use force if necessary.
      Read more
    • 16:33

      US Evacuates Personnel From Libya Due To Increased Unrest - Report

      Military vehicles, which were confiscated from Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar's troops, are seen in Zawiyah, west of Tripoli, Libya April 5, 2019.

      US Evacuates Personnel From Libya Due To Increased Unrest - Report

      The United States Africa Command has relocated a military unit from Libya as Libyan commander Khalifa Haftar carries on his offensive against militia forces in Tripoli, according to The National.
      Read more

    Related:

    Russia Concerned Over Use of Combat Aircraft by Armed Groups in Libya
    UN Keeps Working in Libya to Resolve Conflict - Special Envoy
    Russia's 'Great Society'; Polish-Norwegian Diplomat Tiff; Haftar in S. Libya
    Tags:
    air strikes, Libyan National Army (LNA), NATO, Muammar Gaddafi, Libya
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik