23:49 GMT25 January 2020
Listen Live
    Africa
    Get short URL
    0 72
    Subscribe

    Egypt's presidential administration announced mourning for three days across the country after an attack at a church in Cairo, according to official statement.

    CAIRO (Sputnik) — Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi on Sunday announced a three-day mourning in connection with an attack at a church in Cairo, the presidential administration said in a statement.

    "Presidential Administration announced mourning for three days across the country, starting today," the statement said.

    The statement also indicated that the president condemned the attack and expressed condolences to the relatives of the victims.

    "The president stressed the need for just punishment for the deaths and injuries of people in this tragedy. The pain felt by the Egyptians at this moment will not remain without consequences, but will add determination to find, to prosecute all those who were in any way involved in it, promoted it, or even participated in the execution of the act, as well as other acts of terrorism faced by the country," the statement added.

    The explosion, which reportedly claimed lives of at least 25 people, took place near Cairo's Coptic Cathedral earlier on Sunday. The bomb was allegedly thrown by an unknown attacker during a praying service.

    Related:

    Demonstrations Held in Cairo Following Blast Near Coptic Cathedral
    Explosion Near Cairo's Coptic Cathedral - Source in Egyptian Security
    Daesh-Affiliated Group May Be Behind Cairo Blast - Source
    Egypt’s Interior Ministry Confirms Six Policemen Killed in Cairo Blast
    Tags:
    mourning, Abdel Fattah al-Sisi, Cairo, Egypt
    Community standardsDiscussion
    Comment via FacebookComment via Sputnik