Registration was successful!
Please follow the link from the email sent to
A worker removes mail-in ballots from envelopes at the Sacramento Registrar of Voters as California goes to the polls in a gubernatorial recall election allowing the voting public to remove current governor Gavin Newsom and replace him with one of 46 candidates, in Sacramento, California, U.S., September 14, 2021. - Sputnik International

Live Updates: US Media Projects Gavin Newsom Will Stave Off Recall Effort

The recall election against the embattled California governor is the sixth such effort brought up since his 2018 win against Republican businessman John Cox, a contender in the 2021 bid.
California's Democrat Governor Gavin Newsom is in the midst of a recall election that could prompt his ouster from the state's governorship, should a majority of voters back the latest initiative.
Although Newsom clinched the governorship in 2018 with 62% of the state's votes, his favorability among Golden State voters took a bit of a tumble after outrage emerged over preventative COVID-19 protocols. Backlash skyrocketed after Newsom was spotted maskless at an exclusive restaurant.
Republican Contenders facing off against Newsom include: Cox, Olympian Caitlyn Jenner, and American conservative radio talk show host Larry Elder.
Follow Sputnik's live feed to find out the latest on the recall election!
New firstOld first
03:43 GMT 15.09.2021
US Media Project Newsom Will Stave Off Recall Effort, Remain in Office for Remainder of Term
03:37 GMT 15.09.2021
Larry Elder Favored as Top Contender Against Newsom
Latest figures suggest conservative radio host Larry Elder is the top candidate that California voters want to replace Newsom. Elder has clinched 41.5% of the votes - the highest double digit percentage.
03:25 GMT 15.09.2021
Newsom Gaining 70% of 'No' Vote in Recall Election With Nearly Half of Ballots Counted
With 47% of the votes trickling in, some 70% of California voters are in support of keeping Newsom as governor.
Newsom is leading with 2.7 million votes.
03:16 GMT 15.09.2021
Raw Figures Suggest Los Angeles County Largely in Favor of Keeping Newsom as Governor
Early votes coming in from Los Angeles County, which is California's most populous region, reveal Newsom is holding onto a 76% lead.
03:08 GMT 15.09.2021
'No' Vote Early Lead May See Newsom Keep Governorship Post
An early exit CNN poll has indicated that the "no" vote is maintaining an early lead. Should votes keep their tally, Newsom will likely retain his job as governor.
Figures coming out of Orange County show some 58.3% of voters are in favor of keeping Newsom in his post for the remainder of his term, whereas another 41.7% of voters are in opposition.
03:01 GMT 15.09.2021
Polls Officially Close for California Recall Election
03:00 GMT 15.09.2021
West Hollywood Poll Worker Removed From Post After Sporting 'Trump 2020' Gear
02:54 GMT 15.09.2021
Figures Indicate More Than 9.5 Million Californians Have Voted in Recall Election
Data analyzed by LA-based firm Political Data Inc. reveals that of the cast ballots, about 51% were submitted by Democrats. Another 26% of voters identified as Republicans.
02:50 GMT 15.09.2021
Larry Elder Camp Says Seeing Strong Turnout as Newsom Team Eyes Breaking Voter Record
02:43 GMT 15.09.2021
Biden Returned to White House Confident About Recall Events, Aides Tell CNN
02:12 GMT 15.09.2021
Nearly Half of Cali Voters Decided More Than a Month Ago Who to Back in Election
02:05 GMT 15.09.2021
Magnitude 3.0 Earthquake Rattles California Amid Ongoing Election
A magnitude 3.0 earthquake struck the Golden State's San Fernando Valley late Tuesday at a depth of nearly 4 miles, the United States Geological Survey revealed.
Local media reports note that shaking was reported in the Sherman Oaks community among other parts of the San Fernando Valley. No reports have emerged of damages, injuries or fatalities.
01:37 GMT 15.09.2021
Exit Polls Reveal COVID-19 Pandemic is Top Concern of California Voters
A CBS News exit poll has indicated that among the top concerns for California voters is none other than the COVID-19 pandemic, followed by homelessness, the economy, surging wildfires and the state's crime rates.
Results have also indicated that about four in 10 voters believe the state's COVID-19 situation is improving, whereas less than a quarter believe it's worsening.
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
Заголовок открываемого материала