Registration was successful!
Please follow the link from the email sent to

Protesters Urge Lebanese Government to Resign Following Beirut Port Explosion - Video

© AFP 2021 / STRA Lebanese policeman hits a demonstrator during clashes in downtown Beirut on August 8, 2020, following a demonstration against a political leadership they blame for a monster explosion that killed more than 150 people and disfigured the capital Beirut.
A Lebanese policeman hits a demonstrator during clashes in downtown Beirut on August 8, 2020, following a demonstration against a political leadership they blame for a monster explosion that killed more than 150 people and disfigured the capital Beirut. - Sputnik International
Subscribe
The death toll from Tuesday's explosions at Beirut's port has risen to 158 and over 6,000 have been injured, local media said on Saturday, citing the Lebanese Health Ministry.

Watch a live broadcast from Beirut's Martyrs' Square where protesters gathered on Saturday to demand the resignation of the Lebanese government following the deadly explosions at the city's port earlier this week.

This comes after a two-week state of emergency was announced by the government while the country's authorities have said that 158 people were killed by the blast and some 5,000 were injured. Dozens of people are still reported as missing. 

The explosions are believed to have been caused by the ignition of 2,750 tonnes of ammonium nitrate, a highly explosive chemical material which was reportedly stored without precautionary measures at the port's warehouses. 

Commenting on the tragedy on Friday, Lebanese President Michel Aoun did not rule out external interference through a missile or a bomb, which he said might have caused the deadly blasts.

*Follow Sputnik's live feed to find out more. 

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала