Tehran Says Will Withdraw From Nuclear Deal Stage by Stage - Report

© REUTERS / Heinz-Peter Bader Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Abbas Araghchi talks to the media after meeting IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano (not pictured) at the IAEA headquarters in Vienna February 24, 2015
Iran's chief nuclear negotiator Abbas Araghchi talks to the media after meeting IAEA Director General Yukiya Amano (not pictured) at the IAEA headquarters in Vienna February 24, 2015 - Sputnik International
Subscribe
US
India
Global
Earlier in the day, US President Donald Trump signed an executive order imposing sanctions on Iran, relating to iron, steel, aluminium, and copper. The move came after Tehran said that it was suspending some of its obligations under the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Actions (JCPOA) in light of the US decision to intensify sanctions.

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has reportedly said that Iran had put a JCPOA withdrawal option in the policy agenda, noting that the withdrawal would be carried out gradually, according to the Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB).    

Araghchi was quoted by the IRIB on Telegram.    

READ MORE: 'Nothing Worse': World Powers 'Concerned' as Iran Nuke Deal on Verge of COLLAPSE

Earlier in the day, Iran said it was suspending some of its obligations under the nuclear deal in light of the US decision to intensify sanctions. 

The US, in its turn, has imposed addditional sanctions, relating to iron, steel, aluminium, and copper against Tehran.

In this Saturday, Jan. 15, 2011 file photo, a part of Arak heavy water nuclear facilities is seen, near the central city of Arak, 150 miles (250 kilometers) southwest of the capital Tehran, Iran. Iranian state television reported on Saturday, April, 19, 2014 that Vice President Ali Akbar Salehi has said a dispute between world powers and the country over its heavy water reactor at Arak has been “virtually resolved.” Iran and world powers are negotiating the terms of a permanent deal over its contested nuclear program - Sputnik International
France Determined to See Iran Nuclear Deal Implemented - Reports
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani earlier in the day sent a letter to Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) signatory states, notifying them that Tehran would give the parties to the accord 60 days to return to the negotiating table and ensure that Iran's interests are protected under the agreement.     

Exactly one year ago from today, the Trump administration announced that it was exiting the accord and re-imposing sanctions on Tehran.

On 8 May 2018, Trump announced his decision to leave the 2015 Iran nuclear deal and reinstate wide-ranging sanctions on Tehran, including secondary sanctions against companies and financial institutions of countries that do business with the Islamic Republic.

READ MORE: US Aircraft Carrier Strike Group Deployment Near Iran is a Bluff — Analysts

In the framework of the pressure campaign waging by the US against Iran, the former has designated Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps as a foreign terrorist organization, while announcing the deployment of the USS Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group and a bomber task force, that reportedly includes four B-52 nuclear-capable bombers, near Iran.

Tehran, in its turn, placed the United States Central Command (CENTCOM), operating in the Middle East, under the same designation, dubbing the deployment announcement an act of "psychological warfare."    

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала