Erdogan Says Turkey Involved in Probe Into Utrecht Shooting Attack

© AP Photo / Francois LenoirTurkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan waits for the arrival of European Council President Donald Tusk prior to a meeting at the EU Council building in Brussels on Monday, Oct. 5, 2015.
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan waits for the arrival of European Council President Donald Tusk prior to a meeting at the EU Council building in Brussels on Monday, Oct. 5, 2015. - Sputnik International
Subscribe
US
India
Global
ANKARA (Sputnik) - Turkey's National Intelligence Organization (MIT) is involved in an investigation into the shooting attack in the Dutch city of Utrecht, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Monday.

Earlier in the day, a gunman opened fire on a tram outside the city centre, killing three people and wounding nine others. The Dutch police said they were looking for 37-year-old Turkish-born Gokmen Tanis in connection with the attack. The police then said that the suspected perpetrator of the attack had been arrested.

Police guard outside the Netherland's team hotel ahead of the friendly soccer match between Germany and the Netherlands in Hannover, Germany, Tuesday Nov. 17, 2015. Following the attacks in Paris, security measures have been increased for the match. - Sputnik International
Turkey Expresses Solidarity With Netherlands After Utrecht Shooting - Ankara
"It is currently being investigated what kind of attack it was — a domestic or terrorist one. Our MIT is also dealing with [the investigation]," Erdogan said as quoted by Turkey's 7 TV channel.

READ MORE: Three Killed in Shooting in Utrecht, Netherlands (PHOTO, VIDEO)

Turkey's Anadolu news agency has reported, citing the suspect's Dutch relatives, that Tanis might have perpetrated the attack due to family problems.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала