At Least 43 Students, Staff at Canada School Exposed to Carbon Monoxide - Report

© REUTERS / Mathieu BelangerAn ambulance is parked at the scene of a fatal shooting at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre in Quebec City, Canada
An ambulance is parked at the scene of a fatal shooting at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre in Quebec City, Canada - Sputnik International
Subscribe
US
India
Global
NEW YORK (Sputnik) - A faulty heating system possibly caused a carbon monoxide leak that led dozens of students and personnel to be poisoned at Des Decouvreurs elementary school in LaSalle borough of the city of Montreal, CBC News reported on Monday citing Head of Montreal Fire Department Francis Leduc.

The chief of Montreal’s fire department explained that a bad connection in the school’s heating system could have produced the leak, and the presence of carbon monoxide was hard to detect because of its odorless. Moreover, Leduc added that unlike most of the schools, Des Decouvreurs was not equipped with a carbon detector.

A picture taken on November 4, 2015 shows a small globe above a fire to illustrate global warming - Sputnik International
Warming Soaring: Earth's Carbon Dioxide Levels at Highest Point in 800,000 Years
The children who felt sick are between the ages of six and 13. Nine students were taken to a hospital after they lost consciousness, while others after felt nauseous, dizzy, and vomited, according to the report.

Quebec Health Minister Danielle McCann stated that there would be a thorough investigation following the poisoning of the children and school staff.

The elementary school will reportedly remain closed as the investigation is ongoing.

READ MORE: Thirteen People Poisoned With Carbon Monoxide at US Walmart

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала