Registration was successful!
Please follow the link from the email sent to

Washington Not Ready to Make Determination on Scenario of Khashoggi's Killing

© AP Photo / Alex BrandonState Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert speaks during a briefing at the State Department in Washington, Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017
State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert speaks during a briefing at the State Department in Washington, Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2017 - Sputnik International
Subscribe
WASHINGTON (Sputnik) - The United States is not ready to draw conclusions on what exactly happened at the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul after journalist Jamal Khashoggi entered it on October 2, US Department of State spokesperson Heather Nauert said during a press conference.

"We continue to get the information, and we will analyze and make determinations as we get additional information," Nauert told reporters on Thursday when asked about the US stance on Saudi Arabia’s conflicting explanations.

Saudi officials initially claimed Khashoggi left the consulate unharmed but later blamed a rogue operation for the killing.

In this Aug. 13, 2018, file photo, Yemeni people attend the funeral of victims of a Saudi-led airstrike, in Saada, Yemen - Sputnik International
US Congress Wants to Cut Off Aid to Saudis Over Khashoggi, Yemen War - Reports
READ MORE: US Sanctions 17 Saudis Including Crown Prince Top Aide Over Khashoggi Killing

Earlier in the day, the United States imposed sanctions against 17 Saudi nationals related to the murder of the Washington Post columnist, while Saudi Arabia announced it had detained 21 people and charged 11 suspects in the case.

"We regard the announcement they made as a good first step, it’s a step in the right direction," Nauert said.

She added the two announcements have not been coordinated between Washington and Riyadh.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала