Registration was successful!
Please follow the link from the email sent to

NATO Chief Welcomes Open Investigation Into Montenegrin Coup Attempt

© REUTERS / Francois LenoirNATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg chairs a NATO defence ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium October 27, 2016.
NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg chairs a NATO defence ministers meeting at the Alliance headquarters in Brussels, Belgium October 27, 2016. - Sputnik International
Subscribe
NATO welcomes open investigation into the coup attempt in Montenegro and cannot pass any judgment on the event, NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg said Wednesday.

Montenegrin flag - Sputnik International
Kremlin Denies Allegations of 'Russian Nationalists' Coup Plot in Montenegro
BRUSSELS (Sputnik) — On October 16, the parliamentary elections day in Montenegro, 20 people were detained and 14 of them arrested for planning to conduct attacks, targeting both civilian population and high-ranking statesmen, and to seize the parliament's building.

"I welcome the open investigation both in Montenegro and in Serbia related to the attempted interference and a coup which we have seen taking place in Montenegro. But it's not for me to judge, that's for investigation to find out the facts and then to hold those behind [the coup] responsible," Stoltenberg said at a press conference answering a question on whether the coup attempt could have been engineered by Russia as a way to prevent Montenegro from joining NATO.

On October 6, Montenegro's prosecutor Milivoje Katnic was quoted by the media as alleging that "nationalists from Russia" planned to stage a government overthrow last month, clarifying that "we don't have any evidence that the state of Russia is involved in any sense." The Russian government refuted the claims.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала