Here are some unusual buildings which you might want to visit while taking a walk in the Russian capital.
Church of St. Gregory of New Caesarea in Derbitsy
This 17th century church is located right in the heart of Moscow on Bolshaya Polyanka Street. As evidenced by historical records, Napoleon, during his invasion of Russia in 1812, was so fascinated by the beauty of the church that he dreamed of "putting it on his palm and moving it to Paris."
When a fire broke out in Moscow, Napoleon ordered French soldiers to carry water in buckets and protect the church.
Church of St. Nicholas in Khamovniki
Located on Lev Tolstoy Street, close to Park Kultury metro station, it was built in the 17th century and is often called by tourists as "Moscow's Leaning Tower" because it has a slight tilt.
One of the famous parishioners of this church was world famous Russian writer Leo Tolstoy.
Memorial museum apartment of Maxim Gorky (formerly Ryabushinsky mansion)
This beautiful residential building is an example of early modernism. The house was built in 1900-1903 and now serves as a memorial museum apartment for famous Russian writer Maxim Gorky.
The house is decorated with a mosaic frieze of lilac orchids and irises. On the stained glass windows, one can see pine trees and vast fields. The interior of the building with its natural motifs is stunning. The main theme of the interior is an underwater world: the main staircase resembles marble waves with a jellyfish lamp-stands located on the side.
Apartment house of Kekusheva
Built by architect Leo Kekushev in 1901-1903, this house on Ostozhenka street was registered to his wife Anna Kekusheva.
In 1907, when relations between the two worsened, the fate of the architect tragically changed. He experienced a deep personal and professional crisis and refused to take any orders, only occasionally published pictures of his old works in magazines. The attempts of the couple to improve their marriage were unsuccessful and Kekushev finished his career, taking his solace in alcohol.
One of the best printing houses of the Russian Empire was previously located in another building, but as time went by, it could no longer accommodate all the workers. As result, Levenson printhouse opened on March 31, 1881.
The main requirements for the new building were maximum functionality, sufficient light and fresh air "required for any successful work." In 1924, the printhouse closed for good.
Apartment house on Chistye Prudy
Built in 1908-1909, this house is the most notable building in the area of Chistye Prudy, in the center of Moscow. Initially, some of the rooms were provided for needy parishioners of the nearby Church of the Holy Trinity for free, while some apartments were rented for money. The walls of the building are decorated with animals and unusual plants.