- Sputnik International
World
Get the latest news from around the world, live coverage, off-beat stories, features and analysis.

US Unable to Confirm al-Nusra Responsibility for Syria Refugee Camp Attack

© AP Photo / Al-Nusra Front Twitter pageA fighter from Syria's al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front holds his group flag as he stands in front of the governor building in Idlib province, north Syria.
A fighter from Syria's al-Qaida-linked Nusra Front holds his group flag as he stands in front of the governor building in Idlib province, north Syria. - Sputnik International
Subscribe
International
India
The United States cannot confirm a statement by Russian military officials that al-Nusra Front is responsible for an attack on a refugee camp in northern Syria, US Department of State spokesperson John Kirby stated in a press briefing on Friday.

WASHINGTON (Sputnik) — On Friday, the Russian Defense Ministry said that al-Nusra Front terrorists may have been behind an attack on a refugee camp in Syria's Idlib.

"Nope," Kirby said when asked if he could confirm the Russian statement on Nusra Front’s responsibility for the attack. "I don’t have any information that indicates that… we are still gathering information right now and are not in a position to definitively say exactly what happened there."

Kirby noted that despite the recent attacks on refugee camps in Syria, the United States remains opposed to establishing a safe zone in the country.

Earlier this week, media reported that a refugee camp in Syria's Idlib had been destroyed by an airstrike, killing 28 people, including children. According to the White House, there were no US-led coalition air force operations in the area at the time of the incident.

Earlier in the day, Syrian military said that the Syrian army had not carried out an airstrike on the camp.
Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала