Registration was successful!
Please follow the link from the email sent to

Yemeni Gov’t Refuses to Continue Direct Negotiations With Houthis in Kuwait

© AP Photo / Amiri DiwanDelegates meeting in Kuwait City from Yemen's internationally-recognized government, which is backed by a Saudi-led military coalition, and Shiite rebels known Houthis and their allies, who hold the capital, Sanaa (File)
Delegates meeting in Kuwait City from Yemen's internationally-recognized government, which is backed by a Saudi-led military coalition, and Shiite rebels known Houthis and their allies, who hold the capital, Sanaa (File) - Sputnik International
Subscribe
The direct talks between official Yemeni government and Houthi rebels were postponed due to the governmental delegation’s decision to suspend its participation in the direct dialogue, according to a source close to the ongoing negotiations.

Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, hold up their weapons to protest against Saudi-led airstrikes, as they chant slogans during a rally in Sanaa, Yemen, Thursday, March 26, 2015 - Sputnik International
Houthis Attack Military Camp, Endanger Yemen Peace Talks - Foreign Minister
KUWAIT CITY (Sputnik) — Intra-Yemeni talks in Kuwait on the country’s reconciliation returned to the format of proximity talks after Sanaa refused to continue holding talks with Houthi rebels amid their attack on a governmental military base, a source close to the ongoing negotiations told Sputnik on Sunday.

On Saturday, UN Special Envoy for Yemen Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed held a trilateral meeting with parties to the Yemeni conflict in the framework of the new round of UN-backed peace talks, which began on April 21 in Kuwait.

"The special envoy is now holding separate meetings with Houthi delegations and supporters of the General People's Congress party [loyal to former Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh]. The direct talks were scheduled for the evening, but they was postponed indefinitely due to the governmental delegation’s decision to suspend its participation in the direct dialogue," the source said.

Saudi Defence Minister Mohammed bin Salman (2nd L), who is the desert kingdom's deputy crown prince and second-in-line to the throne, arrives at the closing session of the 4th Summit of Arab States and South American countries held in the Saudi capital Riyadh, on November 11, 2015 - Sputnik International
Ex-Yemen President: No Difference Between 'Saudi Regime,' Terrorists
He added that Sanaa had exited the direct negotiations in protest against the attack of Yemen’s main opposition force on the governmental military facility in the Yemeni province of Amran earlier in the day.

Yemen has been engulfed in a military conflict between the government headed by President Abd Rabbuh Mansur Hadi and Houthi rebels, which have been supported by army units loyal to the former Yemeni president.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала