MOSCOW (Sputnik) – The search for the Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 that disappeared with 239 people on board last year will continue in the Indian Ocean, the Australian government’s Joint Agency Coordination Centre (JACC), which has been helping with the search, informs.
"Fugro Discovery has departed [the Australian] Port of Fremantle after conducting routine resupply operations and is expected to arrive in the search area on 2 July to recommence search operations," JACC said in a Wednesday operational search update.
According to the statement, another search ship, Fugro Equator, has also completed resupply operations and is expected in the search area on July 6.
"The Fugro vessels have undergone winterisation to enable continuous search operations during winter," JACC said.
Malaysia Airlines flight MH370, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing, disappeared from radar screens on March 8, 2014, less than an hour after takeoff. There were 227 passengers and 12 crew members on board.
Based on an analysis of aircraft performance data, experts suspect that the plane crashed in the southern Indian Ocean, but no trace of it has been found so far.
According to JACC, if the wreckage of the aircraft is found, Australia, Malaysia and China will implement a joint recovery plan, which includes securing all the evidence necessary for a proper investigation into the accident.