The agency said that figures for 2014 will be published in June 2015.
“In 2014, we expect that the figure will exceed the 2013 numbers, especially because of conflicts in Syria, Iraq and Nigeria, among others,” Rosa Otero said.
“There have been no similar figures since the Second World War,” Otero said.
The agency expressed alarm over the situation in the Mediterranean Sea, as the number of refugees trying to reach mainland Europe has drastically increased.
Last week, a boat carrying some 800 migrants capsized while heading from Libya to Italy. Only 28 people were rescued.
“At least 350 people on board were Eritreans, but there were also people from Syria, Somali, Sierra Leone, Mali, Senegal, Gambia, Cote d’Ivoire, and Ethiopia,” Otero added.
Otero highlighted that Europe must ensure migrant safety, and make sure that similar tragedies do not happen again.
On Thursday, the European Council will hold an emergency meeting on the migrant crisis and the refugee situation.