WASHINGTON, October 24 (RIA Novosti) — Canadian police had no information about Ottawa shooter Michael Zehaf-Bibeau's connection to any terrorist group before the Wednesday attack, Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) Commissioner Bob Paulson said.
"RCMP did not possess information that would reveal any national security related criminality. His criminal records indicated infractions related to drugs, violence and other criminal activities. I can confirm that Zehaf-Bibeau was not one of the 90 high-risk travelers that RCMP is currently investigating," Paulson told reporters at a press-conference Thursday.
Last week, Commissioner Paulson informed the Canadian government of 90 high-risk travelers on their list that were kept a close eye on. The list fluctuates daily, and on Thursday it comprised 93 individuals. The police hope they will be making arrests based on that list, though none have been made so far.
Paulson also admitted that the attack was clearly linked to the shooter's radicalization and added that the police were investigating his connections to any of the Islamist groups.
The commissioner also told reporters that Zehaf-Bibeau was in Ottawa since at least October 2, 2014 and lived in one of Ottawa downtown shelters. He was in town to reapply for his Canadian passport and was hoping to leave for Syria as his mother informed the police Wednesday.
On Wednesday morning, the 32-year old Canadian citizen Michael Zehaf-Bibeau shot a soldier guarding the National War Memorial in Ottawa and then proceeded to Parliament Hill's Center Block where he was killed in a shooting with a policeman.