UNITED NATIONS, August 22 (RIA Novosti) - After Russian aid trucks crossed into eastern Ukraine after being delayed on the border, the United Nations issued a statement on Friday that Secretary General Ban Ki-moon "follows with deep concern reports that a Russian aid convoy has crossed the border into Ukraine without the permission of the Ukrainian authorities."
"While recognizing the deteriorating humanitarian situation, any unilateral action has the potential of exacerbating an already dangerous situation in eastern Ukraine," Ban's spokesman Stephane Dujarric said in a statement.
The United Nations said that Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon "urges all sides, in particular Ukraine and the Russian Federation, to continue to work together, in coordination with the international community, to ensure that humanitarian assistance reaches the most affected areas. He reiterates that all sides should continue to exercise maximum restraint and avoid escalation."
Earlier on Friday, Russia's Permanent Representative to the UN Vitaly Churkin said of the government in Kyiv, "They chose not to work cooperatively with us."
Churkin said the convoy contained "69 electric generators, 400 tons of grain and cereals, 340 tons of canned meat, 30 ton of salt, 100 tons of sugar, 60 tons of canned milk products, 80 kilos of tea, 679 tons of bottles water, over 62 tons of baby food, 84 tons of various medical supplies and 12,000 sleeping bags."
The UN's Ban Ki-moon concluded that he "is encouraged by the announcement from President Petro Poroshenko that Ukraine will do everything possible to prevent more serious consequences as a result of the convoy moving into Ukrainian territory."