KIEV, August 5 (RIA Novosti) – Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said Tuesday the combat zone in the country’s eastern provinces had allegedly shrunk by 75 percent over the past two months.
“The head of state emphasized that the territory of the special ATO [Anti-Terrorist Operation] had been reduced by three-fourths,” the Poroshenko administration said in a Twitter post.
In mid-July, the Ukrainian president claimed the nation’s military had managed to decrease the zone of special operation in the east by two-fold.
The Kiev government launched a military operation in eastern Ukraine in a crackdown on citizens of the region protesting the February regime change. Moscow said the special operation, which has led to numerous casualties on both sides, is a punitive act and called on the authorities to stop the bloodshed.