- Sputnik International
Russia
The latest news and stories from Russia. Stay tuned for updates and breaking news on defense, politics, economy and more.

Woman Takes Back Rape Accusation Against Russian Martial Artist

© RIA Novosti . Denis Tyrin / Go to the mediabankAlexander Emelianenko
Alexander Emelianenko - Sputnik International
Subscribe
International
India
Africa
A woman who had earlier accused mixed martial arts fighter Alexander Emelianenko of rape is withdrawing her accusation against him, the fighter’s press secretary said.

MOSCOW, August 3 (RIA Novosti) – A woman who had earlier accused mixed martial arts fighter Alexander Emelianenko of rape is withdrawing her accusation against him, the fighter’s press secretary said.

Emelianenko, 31, is a renowned MMA fighter with a 23-6 career win-loss record and is the younger brother of former MMA champion Fedor Emelianenko.

Investigators said Friday that they had questioned Alexander Emelianenko and the 23-year-old accuser, and planned to carry out a medical check of the woman.

“The woman wrote a statement [against Emelianenko] because she wanted to earn some money,” said his press secretary, Irina Staroverova. “Police have to investigate cases like this, so they started a probe.”

“As a result, the woman is taking her statement back. It’s a procedure that requires some time,” Staroverova said, adding that the incident has taken her boss by surprise.

She also said Emelianenko was heading to the airport to catch a flight to the Russian city of Tyumen, where he is expected to sign a contract for a fight against American MMA fighter Jeff Monson.

Emelianenko announced his retirement in December, but was back in the ring just five months later.

He had a knockout win last month over Jose Rodrigo Guelke, and is scheduled to face Darrill Schoonover later this month.

 

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала