Small aftershocks continue to shake northern Italy causing evacuation of at least 6,000 residents of the Emilia-Romagna region, local media reported.
A 6.0-magnitude quake north of Bologna on Sunday killed seven people, injured over 50, and destroyed dozens of old buildings. The tremor was followed by at least 17 aftershocks around the region, with latest 4.1- and 3.5-magnitude recorded late on Monday.
Governor of Emilia-Romagna region Vasco Errani said on Monday that at least 6,000 people had been evacuated from Modena, Ferrara and Bologna - the three provinces hit the hardest by the disaster.
Most of the displaced residents, whose houses were destroyed in the quake, have been put in temporary tent camps. Some people cannot return to their homes until the buildings have been checked for safety.
“It will be difficult for these people to return home while the tremors continue,” Errani said.
Emilia-Romagna has a population of about 4.4 million and is considered one of the richest and most developed regions in Europe. It is a major center for food and automobile production, being home for iconic Italian companies, such as Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, De Tomaso and Ducati.