Norway Killer Breivik Officially Charged With Terrorism

Subscribe
US
India
Global
Norwegian gunman Anders Behring Breivik has been officially charged with acts of terror over the 77 people he killed in twin attacks, Oslo Prosecutor Svein Holden said on Wednesday at a press conference streamed on the internet.

Norwegian gunman Anders Behring Breivik has been officially charged with acts of terror over the 77 people he killed in twin attacks, Oslo Prosecutor Svein Holden said on Wednesday at a press conference streamed on the internet.

The 33-year-old right-wing extremist also faces charges of voluntary homicide, according to a 19-page indictment presented by the prosecutor.

Breivik was psychotic at the time of the killings and should be transferred to "compulsory mental health care,” prosecutors claim.
The charges carry a penalty of up to 21 years in prison, although Breivik’s jail term can be extended for as long as he is considered a danger to society.

If Breivik is found criminally insane, he would face confinement in a psychiatric ward instead of jail.

Breivik has confessed to killing eight people with a car bomb in downtown Oslo on July 22 and then gunning down 69 others on the island of Utoya, which was hosting a summer camp for the governing Labor Party's youth branch. The gunman claimed he was on a crusade against multi-culturalism and the "Muslim invasion" of Europe when he carried out the attacks.

Prosecutor Holden said the total number of people subjected to attempted murder taking into account the two attacks could be as high as 800.

Breivik’s lawyers said he had been "completely calm" throughout the 30 minutes it took to read the charges.

He is due to undergo a new psychiatric evaluation after a widely-contested initial assessment found him criminally insane.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала