A suicide bomber dressed in an Afghan army uniform walked up to a military base near the eastern city of Jalalabad on Saturday morning and blew himself up, Gen. Zaher Azimi said.
Azimi, the head of the Defense Ministry's department for public and parliamentary affairs, said the exact number of victims was unknown, but regional Health Ministry officials said four dead and eight injured soldiers had been taken to local hospitals.
The bomber targeted the corps headquarters of the Afghan National Army in Laghman Province, Azimi said.
The attack came a day after a suicide bomber killed the head of police for Kandahar Province, Khan Mohammad Mujahid, after getting inside the headquarters building in the southern city of Kandahar.
The base targeted on Saturday is also used by the International Security Assistance Force. Western media report that ISAF said there were some of its troops among the casualties, without giving specifics.
Attacks are a daily occurrence in Afghanistan, but ISAF is going to begin handing over responsibility for security in some areas to Afghan military and police at the end of June.
KABUL, April 16 (RIA Novosti)