Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak took full responsibility for the Israeli raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla in May, while testifying before an investigations committee on Tuesday.
"I carry overall responsibility for everything that took place in the systems under my command. I carry responsibility for the orders given on the political level," Barak told an Israeli commission investigating the raid, according to Israel's Haaretz daily.
Barak called the decision to intercept the flotilla "a reasoned decision by a group of senior cabinet ministers."
Israeli soldiers stormed the six-ship Freedom Flotilla on May 31, killing nine activists. The ships were carrying 10,000 tons of aid to the troubled Gaza Strip. Israel says the soldiers acted in self-defense, but those on board claimed otherwise.
Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu testified before the commission on Monday. He said Israel acted "in accordance with international law."
Last week, the United Nations set up an independent commission, led by ex-New Zealand premier Geoffrey Palmer, to investigate the Israeli raid.
TEL AVIV, August 10 (RIA Novosti)