MINSK, March 16 (RIA Novosti) - The head of Belarus' security service said Thursday he had evidence that the United States and Georgia were backing efforts to overthrow the country's current regime by force in Sunday's presidential elections.
Stepan Sukharenko showed a press conference in the Belarussian capital, Minsk, a video of an interview with a man he said was one of those involved in the plot. The man said he had been at a training camp in Georgia at which training was provided by "four Arabs [and] officers of the former Soviet army".
The man also said a colonel from the Georgian security services and American instructors had conducted examinations, and that the Americans had told them to bomb four polling stations at schools in Minsk during voting Sunday.
"The Americans told us to organize four explosions at schools. The place and time [of the attacks] were to be told [to us] later. Concrete locations were not indicated," the man said.
Sukharenko also showed video footage he said was of Georgian nationals confessing that they were to deliver money and "everything necessary" to create disturbances on March 19. He said it was possible other attacks were being organized.
"We know maybe only a part of what was being prepared," he said.