RUSSIAN DEFENCE MINISTRY OFFICERS FACE CRIMINAL INVESTIGATION

Subscribe
US
India
Global
MOSCOW, October 8 (RIA Novosti) - While inquiring into the Yulia Timoshenko case, the Central Military Prosecutor's Office has opened criminal proceedings against two Russian Defence Ministry officers, a spokesman for the military prosecutor's office told RIA Novosti on Friday.

"Experts provided new data proving that the cost of the material valuables that had been supplied from Ukraine to Russia had been overstated by more than $10 million. This allowed to open criminal proceedings against two senior officials from the Russian Defence Ministry's Central Department for Logistics," said a military prosecutor's office official.

Since the valuables in question were supplied under treaties and agreements between Ukraine's Unified Energy Systems and Russia's Defence Ministry, investigation against the two officers will be conducted as part of criminal inquiry against Yulia Timoshenko, Ukraine's ex-Deputy Prime Minister and currently an MP.

Ms Timoshenko is accused of arranging for giving bribes to Russian Defence Ministry senior officials for signing contracts worth $750 million with Ukraine's energy corporation.

Referring to current law and a relevant Constitutional Court ruling, Ukraine's Prosecutor General's Office has said law-stipulated procedures, rather than methods of political pressure, should be used while addressing international legal issues.

Major General Vladimir Samusev, chief of the investigations department of Russia's Central Military Prosecutor's Office, said, on September 23, that Ms Timoshenko had been put on the international wanted list.

General Samusev recalled that Ms Timoshenko had ignored the investigators' summon to hear the charge brought up against her and undergo questioning.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала