TRANSDNIESTRIAN SETTLEMENT TALKS POSTPONED UNTIL JUNE 23-24

Subscribe
International
India
CHISINAU, June 20 - RIA Novosti. The next round of five-sided Transdniestrian settlement talks involving Moldova, OSCE, Russia, Ukraine, and Transdniestria -a self-proclaimed republic in Moldova - is postponed until Wednesday and Thursday.

The talks had been scheduled for Monday-Tuesday.

The OCSE mission in Moldova told RIA Novosti that the negotiations had been postponed because incumbent OSCE Chairman Solomon Passy was going to come to Chisinau on Monday.

Chisinau and Tiraspol (Transdniestria's capital) will keep on discussing suggestions to the final document on Transdniestrian settlement. The agenda will be finally synchronized at a meeting in Tiraspol on Wednesday.

On Thursday talks will be resumed in Moldovan capital Chisinau.

Bulgarian Foreign Minister and incumbent OSCE Chairman Solomon Passy is coming to Moldova on Monday on a two-day official visit.

The OCSE mission in Moldova told RIA Novosti that Mr. Passy would meet with Moldovan President Vladimir Voronin. Then he will go to Tiraspol to discuss settlement process with Transdniestrian leader Igor Smirnov.

In addition, in Chisinau OSCE chairman will meet with the ruling party and opposition of the country, and with leaders of some nongovernmental organizations.

On Saturday leader of the unrecognized republic of Transdniestria Igor Smirnov said that he insisted on making Moldova a federation of two equal regions - Moldova and Transdniestria.

"Only equality between the sides and due consideration of the interests of the Transdniestrian people can bring about a positive result, an efficient model of a federal state," he said in his address to the Transdniestrian people on the 12th anniversary of the armed conflict of 1992.

On Saturday Transdniestria mourned its men and women killed in the conflict, laying wreaths and flowers to their tombs in all towns of the region.

On June 19, 1992 Moldovan National Army entered the Transdniestrian town of Bendery. About 650 were killed, over a thousand wounded, and about 100,000 forced out of their homes in an armed conflict that began between the Moldovans and local residents. In July 1992 an agreement on peaceful settlement was signed, and a peacekeeping force entered the region.

Newsfeed
0
To participate in the discussion
log in or register
loader
Chats
Заголовок открываемого материала