16:17 GMT +3 hours28 November 2014
Live
World

Humanitarian Crisis in Eastern Ukraine Not Over - Lavrov

World
Russian Humanitarian Aid Convoy for East Ukraine (170)
000
The humanitarian crisis in eastern Ukraine is not over yet, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday.

MOSCOW, August 25 (RIA Novosti) – The humanitarian crisis in eastern Ukraine is not over yet, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Monday.

“The humanitarian crisis is not over,” Lavrov said during a briefing.

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) notes that the population of Luhansk is in desperate need of humanitarian assistance, Lavrov said.

On August 22, Luhansk received humanitarian aid from Russia. The convoy comprising of 227 trucks with about 2,000 tons of essentials including baby food, medicine, grain, sugar, sleeping bags and generators, arrived at the Russian-Ukrainian border on August 14 but entered Ukraine a week later, as Kiev had been postponing its final approval for the trucks to go ahead.

All vehicles returned empty to Russia on Saturday. The Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) confirmed the return of all trucks.

On August 23, Deputy Prime Minister of the Council of Ministers of the People's Republic of Luhansk (LPR) Vasily Nikitin said the situation with food provision in LPR is dire. Despite the harvest season, the food market is stagnating due to shelling and the ensuing fire. The residents of the city are surviving on their own stocks and are hoping to receive more humanitarian aid from Russia.

Since mid-April, Kiev authorities have been conducting a special military operation in the east of Ukraine against independence supporters that refused to recognize the legitimacy of the new government. Over 2,000 people have been killed and more than 5,000 injured since the start of Kiev’s offensive, according to the United Nations.

Topic:
Russian Humanitarian Aid Convoy for East Ukraine (170)
Tags:
humanitarian crisis, humanitarian aid, Red Cross, Sergei Lavrov