MOSCOW, July 14 (RIA Novosti) – Moscow is considering “surgical retaliatory strikes” on the Ukrainian territory after the standoff has led to first civilian victims among Russians on Russia’s territory, a Kremlin source told Kommersant Monday.
“Our patience is not boundless,” the source told the newspaper, stressing that “this means not a massive action but exclusively targeted single strikes on positions from which the Russian territory is fired at.”
The Russian side “knows for sure the site where the fire comes from,” the source said.
The proposed plan echoes a statement by a deputy speaker of Russia’s upper house, Yevgeniy Bushmin, who told RIA Novosti Sunday that using precision weapons in response to Ukraine’s shelling would prevent further Kiev’s attacks of Russia’s territory.
«There is a feeling that if before firing was not aimed against Russian border guards, now provocations have been on the rise as there is no other means of forcing us to join in the standoff with Ukraine’s security troops," said Bushmin who represents Rostov Region in the Federation Council.
«The only way to fight against this like civilized countries do, namely the US and the EU. We should use precision weapons, like Israel, to destroy those who fired this shell [on Russia’s Donetsk]," the lawmaker said.
On Sunday, one Russian citizen was killed when a shell exploded in a yard of a house in Donetsk, a town in southern Russia’s Rostov Region. Another shell hit a house, injuring two women, a 82-year-old mother and her daughter. The elderly woman was hospitalized with brain concussion and fractures.
The Russian Foreign Ministry announced Sunday it protests the shelling calling it a provocation that might have irreversible consequences. Deputy Russian Foreign Minister Grigory Karasin said earlier that Russia promises «harsh demarches» against Ukrainian authorities over the incident.