• eng
16:26 GMT +3 hours18 December 2014
Live
World

NATO Silent on Libya Operation Consequences Lavrov

World
100
NATO has not yet provided a full account of the effects of its intervention in Libya last year, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Tuesday.

NATO has not yet provided a full account of the effects of its intervention in Libya last year, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Tuesday.

The international NATO-led military operation in Libya began on March 19, 2011, two days after the approval of a UN resolution on "targeted measures" to protect civilians from ongoing clashes between forces loyal to former leader Muammar Gaddafi and rebels seeking his overthrow.

“Our NATO partners have not yet given an accounting of their actions in Libya and the consequences of the ongoing crisis there on other North Africa countries,” Lavrov said, adding that the U.S.-led alliance has so far avoided a fair discussion on “the Libyan post-crisis syndrome.”

Russia has repeatedly criticized the NATO-led operation in Libya for exceeding the UN mandate by supporting rebel forces in their fight against troops loyal to Col. Muammar Gaddafi, who ruled Libya for more than 40 years before he was deposed by rebel forces in August.

Ousted Libyan leader Gaddafi was killed in October near his hometown of Sirte after being captured by rebel Transitional National Council (TNC) forces.