19:00 GMT +3 hours23 November 2014
Live
World

Death toll in Kazakhstan floods rises to 43

World
(updated 18:26 28.10.2014)
00
The death toll from the recent floods in southern Kazakhstan has risen to 43, the emergencies ministry said on Wednesday.

The death toll from the recent floods in southern Kazakhstan has risen to 43, the emergencies ministry said on Wednesday.

The ministry said the body of a 29-year-old man, who had been listed as missing, was found on Tuesday in the area near Kyzyl-Agash, a village which was almost completely destroyed by the floods. Two people are still unaccounted for.

Last week, it was reported that 37 people had died.

A total of 211 people were injured as flood waters swept away two dams due to unusually heavy precipitation and melting snows on March 12. Some 1,000 people had to be evacuated.

Railroad traffic was suspended and a number of highways were closed in the region.

Police have launched a probe into the rupture of the dams and detained the mayor of Kyzyl-Agash and several other officials on suspicion of negligence.

The Kazakh government has allocated almost 600 million tenge ($4.1 million) to deal with the aftermath of the flood and pay compensations to those affected.

ASTANA, March 24 (RIA Novosti)