Gaddafi's son in court in Libya's Zintan to adjourn the trial until December 12 - lawyer
"Saif al-Islam Gaddafi appeared before the Zintan court that decided to adjourn the trial until December 12 to allow the attendance of other accused in the case," the lawyer who was present in court said.
He was also due at a pre-trial hearing in the capital on Thursday on security charges related to the 2011 uprising that toppled his father, but there were doubts whether his ex-rebel captors in Zintan would allow this.
Saif al-Islam Gaddafi, son of Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, who was overthrown and killed in 2011, faces trial for alleged crimes against humanity and faces execution. The hearing will be held in Libya, and is expected to be “entirely unfair”, according to his lawyer.
The International Criminal Court (ICC) said that Saif al-Islam Gaddafi was involved in war crimes in the 2011 uprisings including murders and prosecution of protesters. He faces charges of harming state security and insulting Libya's new flag.
The ICC has also asked Libya to Libya extradite Saif al-Islam to Hague. But Libya refuses to hand him over insisting on the trial at home. Libyan government says that the Hague-based court has no jurisdiction to hold the trial because it only intervenes if the local justice system is not functioning.
Gaddafi is being held in the town of Zintan, where he is facing separate charges, accused of obtaining documents that threaten national security.
The International Criminal Court on Thursday rejected Tripoli's request to suspend the handover of slain leader Muammar Gaddafi's son Seif al-Islam.
"The Appeals Chamber... rejected the Libyan authorities' request to suspend the surrender...," the Hague-based court's appeal judges said in a statement.
They added that Tripoli remained "obliged" to hand over Seif al-islam, who served as the late Libyan strongman's de facto prime minister.
Tripoli's lawyers last month had asked the ICC, the world's only permanent court to try war crimes, to suspend an order to hand him over.
Tripoli and the ICC have been involved in a legal tug-of-war over where Seif al-islam and Gaddafi's former spy chief Abdullah Senussi should face trial for their roles in trying to put down Libya's bloody revolt in 2011.
Mandated by the United Nations, the ICC's prosecutors investigated the conflict and in June that year issued arrest warrants against Kadhafi, his son and Senussi for war crimes and crimes against humanity.
The warrant against Gaddafi was cancelled after he was slain by rebel forces in October 2011.
Last month Libyan prosecutors said that Seif al-Islam and other former top regime officials which also included Senussi are to go on trial in Libya in August.
Seif al-Islam, 40, is still being held by a brigade of former rebel fighters in Zintan, 180 kilometres (100 miles) southwest of Tripoli, since his capture in November 2011.
Libya said on Sunday it will appeal to the International Criminal Court to reverse its decision to prosecute Seif al-Islam, a son of slain dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
"We will obviously appeal" as required within five days of the announcement of the decision taken on Friday, Justice Minister Salah al-Marghani told a joint news conference with Prime Minister Ali Zeidan.
The International Criminal Court has dismissed a request by the government of Libya to try the son of former Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi Saif al-Islam on their own.
The ICC and the new Libyan authorities want to try Saif al-Islam for crimes committed during the armed conflict in the country in 2011.
Representatives of the International Court of Justice claim that the new leadership of Libya is barely in control of the country and has no ability to handle the case better than the ICC.
The son of the deposed Libyan leader and two of his aides were arrested in November 2011 while trying to cross the border into Nigeria.
Saif al-Islam, previously wanted to be tried in the Hague, where he faces a life sentence, but not the death penalty.
Voice of Russia, AFP, Interfax, RT