Pentagon hit by another sex scandal
The altercation allegedly involved Roberts and an unidentified woman he is now being investigated for having an affair with, a U.S. military official said.
According to the USA Today, Fort Jackson conducts basic training for about 36,000 soldiers, 60% of the Army's incoming are women recruiters. The name of a woman is not disclosed. Although the newspaper notes that this is not a case of sexual assault or harassment among soldiers.
The NBC News notes that Robertson had an argument with the woman and then he allegedly bit her in her lip, causing her to seek medical help.
Bryan T. Roberts, 29, is married and has three children. He previously led units in Iraq and in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina.
This is not the first case of sex scandal that hit the US Army. Statistics show a startling rise in sexual assault cases throughout the armed services. This month, the Pentagon released figures estimating that 26,000 service members were sexually assaulted in unreported incidents last year, a 35% increase from 2010.
Voice of Russia, USA Today, NBC News
The Army announced Tuesday that it has suspended the top general at Fort Jackson in South Carolina - Brig. Gen. Bryan Roberts - over allegations of assault and adultery, in a string of sex scandals to shake the military.
On Monday, May 6th, the Air Force officer in charge of its sexual-assault program, Lt. Col. Jeff Krusinski, was arrested for allegedly groping a woman. She managed to fight off her assailant.
Krusinksi was charged with sexual battery. The Air Force removed him from his position pending an investigation.
A soldier responsible for sexual assault prevention at Fort Hood in Texas, Sgt. 1st Class Gregory McQueen, is under investigation for sexual assault and running a prostitution ring, while Lt. Col. Darin Haas, who led Fort Campbell's sexual harassment prevention office, was removed from his job last week after threatening his ex-wife.
Following scandalous arrest of Lt Col Jeffrey Krusinski, who was arrested and charged with sexual battery of a woman on Sunday, the problem of sexual assault in the US military came to the forefront once again on Tuesday when the Pentagon released a survey estimating that around 26,000 people in US armed forces were sexually assaulted last year. Infuriated Obama and the Congress demand action.
In response to the report released Tuesday by US Defense’s Sexual Assault Prevention and Response Office (SAPRO) President Obama expressed his fury and exasperation with the Pentagon’s notorious unsuccessful attempts to bring sexual assault under control.
During the press conference in the White House Obama said that he “has no tolerance for this. If we find out somebody’s engaging in this stuff, they’ve got to be held accountable, prosecuted, stripped of their positions, court-martialed, fired, dishonorably discharged. Period.”
The President also ordered Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel “to step up our game exponentially” to prevent sex crimes. Obama also added that “for those who are in uniform who’ve experienced sexual assault, I want them to hear directly from their commander in chief that I’ve got their backs”.
Mr. Hagel himself said that the Pentagon was instituting a new plan that ordered the service chiefs to incorporate sexual assault programs into their commands: “What’s going on is just not acceptable. We will get control of this.”
US Defense secretary also commented that "sexual assault is a crime that is incompatible with military service and has no place in this department. The Department of Defense needs to be a national leader in combating sexual assault and we will establish an environment of dignity and respect, where sexual assault is not tolerated, condoned, or ignored."
The chief of the US Air Force’s Sexual Assault Prevention branch has been charged with groping a woman in a parking lot on the outskirts of Washington.
Lt. Col. Jeff Krusinski was detained after a woman contacted police saying she had been assaulted by a drunken man. She fought off the attacker and scratched his face, a police report says. Krusinski has been released on $5,000 bail and is not allowed to leave the state, media say.
The officer was in charge of a sexual assault prevention unit with the US Air Force since February 2013. He was stripped of the post following the shameful arrest.
On Tuesday, the Pentagon published a survey that registered a 6% increase in the number of sexual attacks suffered by women serving in the US armed forces. Women make up over 15% of the US military.
Voice of Russia, New York Times, BBC, Washington Post, RIA