New ‘Argo’ will be filmed in Hollywood
The first attempt to shoot Argo based on the popular 1967 sci-fi novel by Roger Zelazny “Lord of Light” was made back in 1979. But the movie was never finished because it only served as a cover for a CIA mission to free American diplomats from Iranian hostage.
Roger Zelazny wrote the Lord of Light novel in 1967. It told a story of several humans who survived the destruction of the Earth and colonized a planet in another galaxy. They defeated the local races and founded a city on one of the planet’s poles. Then they learnt the secret of immortality and declared themselves gods.
After the success of Ben Affleck’s Argo, Warner Brothers bought the copyright for the original screenplay and have launched its production. Chris Terrio is expected to amend the script of the new Argo, as he did for Ben Affleck’s version.
Loosely based on a real-life covert mission, “Argo” tells the story of Tony Mendez (played by Affleck), a C.I.A operative who disguises six Americans as filmmakers and smuggles them out of Tehran during the Iran hostage crisis of 1979-81. In the movie, Mendez and the captives pretend to be working on a Canadian science-fiction film called “Argo”.
Voice of Russia, Novostimira.com.ua, insidemovies.ew.com, International Business Times
Iran has indicated its intent to sue Hollywood over the Oscar-winning ‘Argo’ because it allegedly gives an ‘unrealistic portrayal’ of the country, local media reported on Wednesday.
The decision comes after Iranian cultural officials and movie critics screened the film at a Tehran theatre earlier this week. They slammed the movie as a ‘violation of international cultural norms.’
According to some Iranian media outlets, French lawyer Isabelle Coutant-Peyre is currently in Iran for talks with officials over how and where to file the lawsuit.
‘Argo’, which won this year’s Oscar for Best Film, is not showing in any Iranian theaters, but many Iranians have already seen it on bootleg DVDs.
Experts say that it is still unclear what specific charges Iran could raise in connection with the film that is based on the real-life escape of several American hostages from the US Embassy in Tehran in 1979.
Iran’s state film industry decided to boycott the 2013 Academy Awards afteran American-made video clip denigrating Prophet Muhammad was posted on the Internet, something that sparked protests across the Muslim world.
Iran's state television has dismissed the Oscar-winning film "Argo" as an "advertisement for the CIA" and the semiofficial Mehr news agency called the Oscar "politically motivated" because First Lady Michelle Obama helped to present the best picture prize.
The political thriller “Agro”, directed by Ben Affleck, is about the rescue of fifty-two Americans who were held hostage for 444 days at the Canadian embassy in Teheran. Their escape was organized by a CIA agent who went to Iran on a pretext to film a fake movie.
The movie is based on the real events which took place in Teheran in 1979 and known as the Islamic Revolution or the Iranian Revolution, the overthrow of the Pahlavi dynasty under Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi, who was supported and installed by the United States and United Kingdom.
Tehran City Council member Masoomeh Ebtekar – who was one of the students who occupied the US Embassy and acted as the Iranian students' spokesman – says the film exaggerates the violence among crowds that stormed the compound in November 1979. She insists that the hostage-takers were mostly students, but other accounts suggest militants and members of the Revolutionary Guard were closely involved in the crisis.
“[Ben Ben Affleck] goes and shows scenes of a very violent and very angry mob throughout the film. It is never mentioned that these are a group of students,” adds Masoomeh Ebtekar.
Iran's culture minister, Mohammad Hosseini, said Hollywood has "distorted history" as part of what Iranian officials call a "soft war" of cultural influence in Iran.
The movie is forbidden in any Iranian cinema, although it is available through bootleg DVDs.
Iran's state-run film industry boycotted this year's Oscars in the wake of a U.S.-made internet video clip that denigrated the Prophet Muhammad and set off protests across the Muslim world.
Voice of Russia, France 24, the Telegraph