A spokeswoman for Vitali Klitschko says the Ukrainian heavyweight champion is not yet calling time on his career as it had appeared the boxer himself had suggested.
The 41-year-old former WBO champion announced to a news conference that "I don't intend to fight," though it was unclear in what context the remark was meant to be taken.
"To boxing-lovers everywhere I can say that the Ukrainian flag will be raised and the anthem will be played when Klitschko enters the ring," he said. "But if you mean me, then I don't intend to fight," he added, referring to his younger brother Wladimir, holder of the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles.
His spokeswoman Oksana Zinovieva insisted, however, that Klitschko had said he did not intend to box "into old age."
"That's what he always says," she said.
It was unclear if Vitali Klitschko would indeed fight again or whether his camp was saving the retirement announcement for a bigger occasion.
Klitschko had previously hinted that his September 8 defeat of Manuel Charr could be his last pro fight before focusing on his fledgling career in politics.
Nicknamed Dr. Ironfist, Klitschko has a record of 45 victories with 41 knockouts along with two defeats.