The deadly terrorist blast at Moscow’s Domodedovo airport on January 24 was carried out by a resident of the Russia’s North Caucasus region and was aimed primarily at foreigners, investigators said on Saturday.
“It was no accident that the terrorist attack took place in the international arrivals zone,” Investigative Committee spokesman Vladimir Markin said.
“Investigators believe that it was directed against, in the first place, foreign nationals,” he added.
He also said that the blast, which killed 35 and injured dozens, was carried out by a 20-year-old resident of the country’s volatile North Caucasus region.
“Despite the investigation having established the name of the terrorist, we will not name him today,” Markin went on, adding that investigators were seeking to detain the organizers of the attack.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, which came less than 12 months after two female suicide bombers from the North Caucasus republic of Dagestan attacked the Moscow metro, killing 39.
Markin also said that a number of suspects believed to have been planning a December 31 attack in the centre of Moscow had now been taken into custody, while others had been placed on a wanted list.
He also said the suspects had been involved in a December 31 blast at a hotel room in southeast Moscow. Reports say the blast killed a would-be suicide bomber who was assembling an explosive device.
MOSCOW, January 29 (RIA Novosti)