MOSCOW, November 9 (RIA Novosti) - More than 20 people were killed in an accident on a nuclear submarine of the Russian Pacific Fleet, an aide to the Russian Navy commander said on Sunday.
"More than 20 people were killed during sea trials as a result of the accidental launch of the fire-extinguishing system on a nuclear submarine of the Pacific Fleet on November 8," Capt. 1st Rank Igor Dygalo said. "Shipyard workers and service personnel are among the victims."
He said the Navy commander-in-chief had ordered a halt to the trials and the submarine was heading to a temporary base. The large anti-submarine ship Admiral Tributs and the rescue vessel Sayany are escorting the submarine, he said.
Dygalo said 208 people, including 81 servicemen were onboard the submarine at the time of the incident.
First Deputy Defense Minister Alexander Kolmakov and Navy commander-in-chief, Adm. Vladimir Vysotsky are heading to the accident scene, Dygalo added. He did not specify the type and name of the submarine.
He said 21 people injured in the accident had been evacuated to board the Admiral Tributs
Dygalo said that the accident had not caused any damage to the submarine's reactor.
The most serious accident on a Russian submarine occurred on August 12, 2000, when the nuclear submarine Kursk sank following an onboard torpedo explosion, killing all 118 crewmembers.